We had a full team with Rob, Steve and I combining forces.
We were going to try a permission the day before on Saturday that I've not been to for 18 months or so but the landowner advised against it as the ground would be quite "claggy". Never mind, another time maybe.
Anyway, we arrived at the Sunday permission with the mist swirling in the valley and the sun trying to break through. In fact, there was enough mist to classify the conditions as foggy LOL!
We finished off the field we surveyed last week using the Déus' and large coils set at standard GMP and GB at "Tracking". Steve used the Gold Maxx Power with the small coil. Apart from some C17th pottery and a nice copper nail there was nothing more to report on.
We then drove to field number 2 which was also rolled and seeded with wheat. This field has a suspected Iron Age settlement on it as we found a couple of Celtic pieces last year when we did a very quick reccy there.
No other recordable finds came to light here.
We then moved next door to field number 3 where another IA or Romano-British settlment existed. We suspect that this one is slightly later than the one in field 2 as quite a few artefacts and coins dating between the C1st and C4th have been recovered in the past.
This field had OSR in it and had grown quite a bit in the last seven days!
The settlement is situated on the rise to the left of the photograph.
Five more Roman coins and a small fibula accounted for the Roman finds with a bonus Celtic mount making an appearance too.
We decided to have a look at a couple of other fields to see what condition they were in for a possible return visit later in the season.
One was still in stubble but the one between a Norman castle, Saxon church and village was newly ploughed, rolled and seeded.
Hopefully we can survey these before next April/May.
The link to the photo-set can be seen here.