As planned, we arrived at the landowners house to find a map safely located under the porchway door mat as promised, attached was a message to ring at some point that morning.
We were taken aback with the amount of areas that we could survey.
Our first area was a field that was annotated on the map with the the fact that Roman pottery was found there in 1938.
Sure enough, we came across sherds of Roman pottery and one of those pieces was a huge section of Roman roof tile (tegula).
Three Roman coins in poor condition were recovered along with a spoon bowl.
We rang the landowner as promised only to find that the field we were in wasn't his! The track marked by the landowner as his ran between two land holdings. He said not to worry as his neighbours wouldn't mind.
That said, we had a recce on most areas of the land so as to orienate ourselves with the future survey points. The main field was still under crop so a field that was actually next to a neighbouring village came under the microscope. a sherd of C17th slipware was recovered.
With the inclement weather it was difficult going especially on the newly cultivated land. The soil had a high clay content so became quite claggy.
We were invited to return to the farmhouse and harvest the Victoria Plums in the orchard situated in their front garden.
Loaded with several kilo's of plums (and huge tegula) we made our way home with differing thoughts on our next visit.