And what a survey to kick off the New Year! The first signal of the day, on deep ploughed and "settled" land, was a first century Roman fibula.
This field is quite vast at eighty acres so the challenge was to assess as much of the area outside the Romano-British settlement as possible.
The second signal was a large fragment of a late Iron Age button and loop fastener.
I just happened to mention (begrudgingly) that I hadn't had a good signal at all! However, the third signal was my turn and the first of 2015 ..and another first century Roman fibula surfaced complete with pin!
The day ended up with seventeen Roman coins, Three Roman fibulae, two catch plates; one appears to be from a sawfish type brooch.
As previously, Romano-British pottery was also recovered.
Other artefacts consisted of the foot of a Roman cauldron leg that had been silvered at one point and a mix of items yet to be identified.
We called in at the landowners on the way home and had a quick chat with his son. His father was out shooting and when I asked where, it turned out that it was at a permission that is high on our list of desirable sites!
As we were in the festive mood we decided to call in at another permission that we'd not been to since last season.
We were welcomed in and had a great catch up on what we'd been up to over the last twelve months.
We were informed the the OSR fields they have would be harvested in July...... wow!.... these fields are the best medieval fields we've ever seen!
I know you shouldn't wish your time away but ....ROLL ON JULY!! LOL!
Anyway.... we're out the day after tomorrow (Sunday) on the brand new permission we visited last weekend.
The images of the finds recovered today can be seen HERE as usual.