Indeed it was OK and stayed that way for the entire day.
The plan was to look at the denarii hoard field as it had been disked to a depth of six inches. Although the field surface was not as smooth as it would be drilled, it was still "do-able".
We started at the edge of the field near to the hoard area and searched using our proven linear technique.
Sure enough, non-ferrous targets were located that were ignored on the previous search when seeded. We can only put this down to the targets being classed as "green waste" at the time.
Rob and I decided to dig all signals this time around as we guessed that the "green waste" wasn't nowhere near as bad in this field as in others nearby.
Apart from the "green waste" signals the recoveries included; two Roman fibula, four Roman As coins that could be part of a hoard, Roman pottery including Samian Ware and an Iron Age toggle fastener (dumbbell type).
Absolutely no finds came up from the hoard area showing the success of the previous survey sessions.
We decided to have a look at the field where several Medieval items were recovered.
On the way there we stopped to chat with one of the farmhands as he was about to plough one of the nearby fields. He was on the 'phone and at the end of his conversation he jumped out to greet us. He said he was having trouble with the computerised ploughing system. As we stood there the plough section was moving slightly without any king of instruction!
We left him to it and ended up at the Medieval field.
This was also disked so resembled the hoard field, condition wise.
Again not much was recovered as we'd already surveyed this field when seeded. Lots of small fragments of lead were located and only a couple of pieces of Medieval pottery had been dislodged by the disking activity.
We knew that there may be some Medieval coinage that may be in reach of the coils.
Oddly enough the first coin was a denarius!! Thankfully a cut half was also recovered later in the search accomplishing the finding of the obligatory "hammy". Two lead pot-mends, a lead bell, strapends and a musket ball were also found.
With the sun getting lower we decided to go for tea at our favourite chippy on the way home. We look forward to when both these fields are ploughed to a depth of ten inches in a week or two's time.
We could see the tractor ploughing one of the fields so the earlier problem with the computer glitch must have been solved.
The technical bit was that one Déus was using the 13" x 11" coil and the other had the standard 9" coil. The modes were; standard GMP one in "Tracking" the other set to the standard 90 setting.
High definition images of the days recoveries can be seen here.